Monday, January 19, 2009

Bringing you up to speed






I am writing this blog to keep everyone up to speed on the travels of my son , Pvt. Brendan Smitke. Brendan will be leaving within the next couple weeks for the war front. As with most things Army we won't know for sure where he's at until he gets there. He's been told Sadr City and Bagdad but now who knows? It could well be he'll be heading to Afghanistan which is probably my worst fear with things escalating the way they have been.
Brendan joined the Army this past summer and is a member of the infantry. He is attached to a tank unit at the moment. That in itself makes me feel a bit better. Not too many vehicles sturdier than a tank.
He started his Army experience in Fort Benning , Georgia and is stationed , at the moment , in Fort Hood , Texas. The base at Fort Benning was nothing like I had ever pictured a military base. Things have certainly changed since the days of Gomer Pyle. I'm told that Fort Hood is so much bigger that Fort Benning so I'm anxious to get there and take the tour.
I'll be heading down to Texas the beginning of February to see Brendan off. I'll be helping drive his car back since the drive is just too much for Rachel to do alone with the baby. As cold as it's been in Ohio I'm looking forward to the warm Texas sun.
I've included some pictures from Fort Benning. We went down there twice to visit with him. Once for a week-end pass on his birthday and the 2nd visit for his  graduation.
As some of you may know he met his long lost half-brother Bryan down there. After their father passed away in 1991 I lost all touch with Fred's other 2 boys. As fate would have it Bryan  , who is 31 , married and father of 2 , signed up for the Army in the infantry division. He was in a barracks right next door to Brendan's. He is in mechanized and arrived 2 weeks before Brendan but they graduated the same day. Just an amazing turn of events. Fred had to have been proudly looking down on those boys when they graduated that day. Bryan is now in Afghanistan (left before Christmas). I am hoping to keep in contact with him during his tour so I can let Brendan know his brother is doing well.
This blog will be used to keep people updated on what Brendan is doing and where he is at ( as much as he can say ) and I will post his contact info as soon as we get it so people can send pictures and support letters. I've also included a list of links that are military related. If you have a military blog or know of one that you'ld like to share please do so and I'll be sure to add the blog to my list.
Also , I had started blogging on myspace about Brendan but too many friends were having a real problem with viewing it. (hi Rita!!) The link to that page is  myspace.com/Pettyhead

No comments: